I am having a really slow day. Time to fuel up!
This is one of my favourite cups. Show me your favourite cup.
It holds the perfect amount of coffee for waking up the creative spirit.
While I sip, I will stitch on a pair of colour work socks that have been hibernating.
What’s on your needles or hook today?
This is how I make a pumpkin pie spice latte at home (& save a lot of pennies doing it!). Everyone deserves an afternoon treat! This is one of my favourite drinks to help pass the afternoon. It is like a big warm and cozy hug from your best friend. Give it a try and please leave your variations in the comments on this page.
- 4 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 4 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 3 teaspoons ground allspice
- Combine all in a small bowl and whisk to remove any lumps.
- Store in an air tight container.
- Experiment with your spices and try adding 1 tsp of ground cloves to create a more festive mixture.
Syrup (makes 4 cups)
- 2.5 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 cup canned pure pumpkin
Prepare the syrup:
- Bring the sugar and 2 cups water to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the cinnamon sticks, pumpkin pie spice, and pumpkin to the syrup. Whisk until the pumpkin is fully incorporated into the syrup.
- Simmer, whisking occasionally, for another 5 – 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside 5 minutes, then strain 2 – 3 times through a fine mesh strainer into an air tight container.
- Store in the fridge for up to one month.
For the Latte
- 8 ounces milk
- 4 ounces espresso or very strong coffee to taste
- Whipped cream and pumpkin pie spice to garnish (optional)
- Pour 1 – 2 tablespoons of syrup into a large coffee mug.
- Add 4 ounces espresso or very strong coffee.
- Steam and froth enough milk (8 ounces or less) to fill the mug. (I use my espresso machine, but you can heat the milk in a sauce pan on the stove and then whip it in your blender (if you want milk froth).)
- Add a dab of whipped cream on top and sprinkle with a pinch of pumpkin pie spice.