This is how I make a pumpkin pie spice latte
This is how I make a pumpkin pie spice latte at home (& save a lot of pennies doing it!). Everyone deserves an afternoon treat! This is one of my favourite drinks to help pass the afternoon. It is like a big warm and cozy hug from your best friend. Give it a try and please leave your variations in the comments on this page.
- 4 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 4 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 3 teaspoons ground allspice
- Combine all in a small bowl and whisk to remove any lumps.
- Store in an air tight container.
- Experiment with your spices and try adding 1 tsp of ground cloves to create a more festive mixture.
Syrup (makes 4 cups)
- 2.5 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 cup canned pure pumpkin
Prepare the syrup:
- Bring the sugar and 2 cups water to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the cinnamon sticks, pumpkin pie spice, and pumpkin to the syrup. Whisk until the pumpkin is fully incorporated into the syrup.
- Simmer, whisking occasionally, for another 5 – 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside 5 minutes, then strain 2 – 3 times through a fine mesh strainer into an air tight container.
- Store in the fridge for up to one month.
For the Latte
- 8 ounces milk
- 4 ounces espresso or very strong coffee to taste
- Whipped cream and pumpkin pie spice to garnish (optional)
- Pour 1 – 2 tablespoons of syrup into a large coffee mug.
- Add 4 ounces espresso or very strong coffee.
- Steam and froth enough milk (8 ounces or less) to fill the mug. (I use my espresso machine, but you can heat the milk in a sauce pan on the stove and then whip it in your blender (if you want milk froth).)
- Add a dab of whipped cream on top and sprinkle with a pinch of pumpkin pie spice.