A Good Clean Day!
Years ago, when my kids were tiny, I gave up my dependence on man-made chemical cleaning solutions. Yes, I broke up with Mr. Clean and sent the Lysol with him. I returned to a more natural clean and have not regretted a single wipe, wash, or polish since.
My home is now safe for kids and pets and I have a few more pennies in my pocket-book (my home-made solutions contain safe and economical ingredients). My surfaces shine and my chrome sparkles. Everything I need to keep dust bunnies, grease, and grime on the run is readily available in my own kitchen.
Many of you have asked me to share my cleaning recipes. I have perfected my cleaners and adjusted them to suit my own personal clean needs. Sometimes I enjoy a different scent or need a more powerful scrub. Whatever my mood, I have all the supplies I need right in my very own kitchen.
Grab a rag and join me on a cleaning adventure that is sure to add a sparkle to your world and a shine to your surfaces.
Basic All-Purpose Potion
- 20 drops of your favourite essential oil (I’m a fan of lavender – it is very good at kicking those little germ butts and smells great)
- 2 cups of warm water (helps the ingredients blend and mix with each other)
- 1/2 – 1 cup of vinegar (depends upon the level of clean you need – for the bathroom I use 1 cup and for the kitchen I use 1/2 cup)
- Few drops of your favourite liquid dish soap (helps cut the grim and grease)
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice (any brand that is available in your grocery store)
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon. of baking soda (this is a natural deodorizer and gives your cleaning potion a little extra scrubbing power)
Mix all ingredients in a spray bottle (you can reuse your bought cleaner bottles – a Windex spray bottle is the perfect size for this cleaning potion).
Grab a bit of paper towel or your favourite cleaning rag and commence shining all your surfaces. This potion works well in bathrooms and kitchens, on outdoor furniture, and the inside surfaces of your car. I avoid using it on wood surfaces as the vinegar to water ratio is a bit harsh for wood.
Basic Window and Glass Potion
- 2 cups warm water (to help the ingredients mix together)
- Few drops of your favourite liquid dish soap (helps cut the grease and grime)
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice (grab your favourite brand from the grocery store)
- 1/2 – 1 cup of vinegar
- Mix all ingredients in a spray bottle and give a tiny shake to mix everything up.
Grab your favourite glass cleaning rag (I find newspaper does the trick for a streak free shine).
Begin cleaning all the glass surfaces (like coffee tables and mirrors) and windows around your house. Once you get started, it is hard to stop. You will absolutely love the way the sun pours through streak free windows
- 4 tablespoons of baking soda
- 1 litre of warm water
Mix the two together, empty the fridge, grab a clean rag and begin wiping all the surfaces. That’s it!
Tile and Grout Potion
- 7 cups water
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup vinegar
Mix all ingredients in a spray bottle. Spray the grout and tile and then go have a coffee. Once your last sip is sipped, return to the are and scrub. You’ll be absolutely amazed at the sparkle and shine you will achieve.
Are you a natural clean type of person? What are your favourite cleaning recipes or tips that help you keep a happy and healthy home?